Sometimes I get homesick. It is nothing to be embarrassed about, is it? I know, I am an adult who’s been living in a foreign country for 6 years and should be tougher. And I am doing my best but from time to time I just want to be around my family and eat a nice Polish dish.
During the years I found an easy way to deal with this feeling. I cook and eat! Not chocolate cake or Häagen-Dazs; it’s an easy to make hot beetroot salad. I should explain that beetroot for a Pole is the same what “jamon serrano” is for a Spaniard. So here’s a recipe for my “I miss home” dish:
– 3 or 4 cooked beetroots
– 200 g pumpkin
– 1 pomegranate
– 1 tablespoon of chopped onion
– 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons of oil of olive
– 1 tablespoon of red paprika (the spicy one)
1. First, heat the oven to 250ºC
2. Peel the previously cooked beetroots and chop them into little pieces.
3. Chop your pumpkin into little pieces.
4. Add all ingredients into a big plastic bowl and toss them. Add all spices, lemon juice and oil. Make sure everything is well mixed.
5. Leave everything to roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Before eating sprinkle some fresh parsley.
It’s not that difficult, is it. The preparation of the salad shouldn’t take you longer than 5-6 minutes. The salad can be served with red meat if you’d like (or just with a glass of red wine).